About Bastrop EDC
Purpose-Driven Economic Development
The mission of the Bastrop Economic Development Corporation is to be a driving force to attract, support, and sustain the economic growth of the Bastrop Community.
The role of the Bastrop Economic Development Corporation (EDC) is to enhance the quality of life in Bastrop by advancing the investment, development, growth and relocation of companies within the area. In addition to providing appropriate infrastructure, the Bastrop EDC promotes and supports economic development in the community that offers the people of Bastrop sustainable, meaningful and rewarding employment opportunities, and greater access to desirable goods and services.
Businesses that seek to establish, expand or relocate operations in Central Texas benefit from Bastrop’s progressive, pro-business environment, led by our responsive economic development corporation and supportive city government. Strong leadership committed to assisting businesses is coupled with streamlined permitting and minimal regulatory challenges, which accelerate the development process.
Origins and Functions
The Bastrop EDC was established in 1995 after the citizens of Bastrop voted to pass a one-half cent sales tax dedicated to economic development. Because the organization’s primary function is to attract, increase and retain a solid, diverse employment base, the Bastrop EDC acquired 263 acres near the intersection of State Highways 71, 21 and 95 and created the Bastrop Business and Industrial Park (Business Park) in 1996. Zoned commercial/industrial, it has been specifically developed in this prime location to appeal to a broad array of businesses. The Business Park offers a range of shovel-ready lots with concrete-grade streets, water and wastewater at the curb, abundant underground utilities, and regional storm water detention.
As part of its responsibilities, the Bastrop Economic Development Corporation commissions and funds research studies to identify community needs, demand and aligned development opportunities, and to inform planning. The Bastrop EDC offers tax and development incentives and works with businesses to capitalize on them. It assists businesses in finding the most suitable facilities or building sites for their requirements and facilitates development from start to finish.
In addition, the Bastrop EDC initiates, sponsors, coordinates and supports other activities that promote its mission of economic development. These include annual career and employment fairs, which bring together hiring companies, jobseekers, educational institutions and high school seniors.
Noteworthy Bastrop EDC Accomplishments
- Since the creation of the Bastrop Business and Industrial Park, several companies have either relocated or expanded operations there including Garments to Go, Bluebonnet Trails Community Services, Bastrop Art Warehouse, and Deep in the Heart Art Foundry.
- After opening in the Business Park in 2000, The Coghlan Group completed a 60,000 sq. ft. expansion in 2017, prior to being acquired by UK-based Caligor RX.
- Georgia-based Johnson Architectural Metal Company (JAMCo) established its Texas headquarters in the Business Park in September 2014.
- Elliott Electric Supply opened a new facility in 2016.
- AEI Technologies opened their new facility in July 2017.
- Bastrop EDC assisted Ascension Seton in establishing a new 40,000-square-foot medical campus in Bastrop in January 2020 by contributing to necessary infrastructure improvements.
- Bastrop EDC completed construction of 921 Main Street, revitalizing a vacant slab, and providing the new location for The Art Institute of Austin in 2021.
- Deep in the Heart Art Foundry is currently preparing for their third expansion.
- The Bastrop EDC is currently in active negotiations with several other prospects looking to establish roots in the Bastrop community.
Bastrop EDC Target Industries
The Bastrop EDC commissioned a study to guide the creation of an economic development strategy for the Bastrop community. This study identified four target industries encompassing businesses that would thrive in Bastrop, and that help grow our community responsibly over the next decade. These industries and related sectors are:
- Biotechnology and Life Sciences - Health care, medical and veterinary research, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices
- Manufacturing - Home goods, electronics, packaging, fulfillment and distribution operations
- IT & Computer Technology - Engineering, communications and advanced electronic design, and IT companies
- Hospitality & Retail - Resorts, business-class hotels, national chain retailers and restaurants, boutiques, and dining and drinking establishments